gpsd-users

Re: How to read status and NMEA standard message string(RMC,GGA..)

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: How to read status and NMEA standard message string(RMC,GGA..)
Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2022 08:26:46 -0700

Yo Bhavna!

On Tue, 2 Aug 2022 13:12:13 +0530
Bhavna Harani <haranibhavna111@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have below questions:

The problem with starting out with questions is that you have given
us zero context.

What version gpsd?

What model GNSS receiver?

How are you "reading" gpsd?

> 1) I am able to read lat/long/mode but when I have tried to read
> status, every time I was getting zero but I can see it was actually
> one.

Garbage in, garbage out.  Almost no GNSS receiver outputs a valid "status",
so it is rare to see gpsd pass that on.

> Below is a snippet.

Rather thatn reading your bad code, how about you read the working
and annotated gpsd example first:

    https://gpsd.io/gpsd-client-example-code.html

Then we can discuss the myriad issues with your code.

> logs in which I can see status is one.

gpsd never report a status of 1 when the NMEA status is 1.  They
are unrelated variables.  An NMEA status of 1 is meaningless.

See : include/gps.h lines 185-200

> Is there anything wrong I am doing here?

Many things.

> *2) How can I know the respective NEMA string type like GGA,RMC,etc
> in a client code?*

How does anyone know anything?

RGDS
GARY