gpsd-users

Re: Ublox and GPSD 3.22

From: James Browning
Subject: Re: Ublox and GPSD 3.22
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2022 06:57:20 -0700 (PDT)

On 06/30/2022 3:26 AM PDT Jeff Curtis <jeffreyscurtis@me.com> wrote:

Hello,

I am using GPSD on both buster and bullseye on raspberry pi 4 boards.  I am using the standard version that’s included in the distribution.  On buster the package is 3.17 and on Bullseye its 3.22.  I have some cheap UBLOX 6 serial gps clones from amazon (gt-u7) which work ok on Buster.

Under Bullseye, once the device is configured in ublox mode, the Latitude, Longitude, and Altitude are not updated in the JSON messages, but the ECEF values are.  Using gpsmon I can see the lat/long/alt update but cgps and xgps do not show those values updated.  The only way I can get the JSON to show the updates is to use -p switch when starting GPSD. I am still trying to build the latest, to see if that will fix the problem I am having, but I am running into some other issues.

Has anyone seen anything similar? Why would gpsmon see the information update but not cgps/xgps?

Using ublox8 with gpsd 3.24, the situation the opposite happens, and gpsmon is drawing blanks because the ublox part of gpsmon used to use its' interpretation of the signal. Recently, that code has gone away as libgpsd does it better at this point. You are strongly encouraged to update to a recent git checkout, which should solve your issue.