gpsd-users

Re: Change from 3.23 to 3.24 - program doesn't work?

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: Change from 3.23 to 3.24 - program doesn't work?
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2022 13:45:06 -0700

Yo Mike!

On Wed, 22 Jun 2022 20:52:26 +0100
Mike Tubby <mike@tubby.org> wrote:

> >> Its a work project, so I would have to remove some code to protect
> >> the innocent.
> > You get paid, we work for free?  Does not seem fair.  Try to give
> > back in some way on the future.
>
> I'll sanitise and post later ...

Sadly, people tend to sanitize out their broken pars...

> >> the code that generates this error is in my reader:
> > That is NOT an error, read what it says.  You have an API mismatch,
> > and you either need to change your code for the new API, or stick
> > with the old gpsd.
>

> I think we're at slightly crossed purposes.

Clearly.

> I am using a matching gpsd version 3.22 and libgps from Debian
> (actually Devuan 4.0) and it works as long as I don't attempt to
> check.

1) 3.22 is old, 3.24 is current
2) The Debian binary is not from us.
3) If you gpsd and libgps version match, then you will not fail the version
   check.

> If I try to check then the things I have to play with appear to be:
>
>      1) the version_t structure; and
>      2) the pair of #defines for API major and minor versions

Don't touch those.  That is like fixing a house fire by changing the
street address.

> So, what what a program has available at run-time I don't see how I
> can ever do a valid check since
>
>      proto_major (value 3) != API major (value 11)  && proto_minor
> (value 14) != API minor (value 0)

That can only happen if you have multiple versions of gpsd installed.
Don't do that.

> I fully understand that if I install matching versions of gpsd/libgps
> everything will work,

So, have you?  Or have you not?

> but what comparisons do I perform to check if
> things are out of step,

None,  fix the root cause: mismatched versions.

> for example if gpsd has been upgraded but
> libgps has not ... ?

That you are screwed.  Don't do that.

RGDS
GARY