gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] [gpsd newbie] Wrong time using Ublox

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] [gpsd newbie] Wrong time using Ublox
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2022 12:14:22 -0700

Yo Michele!

On Tue, 15 Mar 2022 17:08:56 +0100
"Bertoni, Michele" <mbertoni@inogs.it> wrote:

> Hi to all!

Welcome.

> I'm a newbie using gpsd: I need to create ntp server due I have no
> access to internet and I need my devices to be synced.

A common task.  Have you read the Intro to time service:

https://gpsd.io/time-service-intro.html

And GPS Time Service hwoto?

https://gpsd.io/gpsd-time-service-howto.html

> I'm using Raspberry pi so is not so easy get updated guide
> step-by-step to creating ntp server....

See above, and many more.

> gpsd: 3.22 (revision 3.22)

Version 3.23 is current.  Please update.

> I get NMEA string, I get PPS, I also get wrong time:

More details...

> on my devices
> (Raspberry pi) I set at boot date of 1 Jan 2000,

Why would you ever do that????

> then I start
> manual-periodic syncing using ntpdate,

How do you do that?  Why not just run ntpd?

> then I check date.
> Sometimes I get synced date at 1970 (or 1980, I don't remember),

Details please.  What version and flavor of NTP?

> actually I use other ntp clients (such MikroTik routers) to check
> date. I'm using https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/timezone/utc as
> comparison.

How bout you jsut check the newspaper?

> website: date year 2022, vs. MikroTik date year 1970 (sometimes) even
> if date at boot is set to 2000

Can't help you here with MicroTik.

> So when I get time I have no idea if time is correct.

Look at your cell phone?

> I remember on Ublox datasheet there are some flags in NAV_TIMEGPS,
> time is not valid until flags get 0x07 value, so time I read is wrong
> by some seconds (maybe leap seconds?)....

gpsd handles all that.  And gpsd has nothing at all to do with ntpdate.

How are you running gpsd?  Do you have a good fix?  How are you running
ntpd?  What is you /etc/ntp.conf?

> It looks like gpsd gets wrong time from GPS.....

Extemely unlikely with a u-blox 8.

RGDS
GARY
        gem@rellim.com  Tel:+1 541 382 8588