gpsd-users

Re: What is the easiest / best way to build just the Python client libra

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: What is the easiest / best way to build just the Python client library?
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2022 19:48:34 -0800

Yo W.!

On Sun, 13 Feb 2022 22:35:27 -0500
"W. Craig Trader" <craig.trader@gmail.com> wrote:

> As it happens, packet.py isn't included by the rest of the gps
> library, so we are both right -- the code I want to use doesn't
> depend on packet.py, so the code I'm using doesn't depend on
> libgpsdpacket.a.

No quarantees that it stays that way.

> Typical use case would be:

Fair enough, as a start.

> The problem lies when I try to enable RAW mode using this code:
> instead of getting NMEA messages, I get nothing.

I can't debug what I can't see.  AFAIK, there are no gpsd example clients
that use WAATCH_RAW, so you may be right that work needs to be done on the
Python part.

> When I wrote a
> straight TCP client (in Python), I get the correct messages, so the
> problem isn't with my receiver or GPSD, it's with the Python library
> (but still not using the packet module).

Yup.

> And yes, I suppose I'll just have to copy the pieces I need by hand,
> since I don't have time to put together a 32-bit ARM environment for
> building all of GPSD that doesn't already have GPSD installed.

gpsd is well supported on 32 bit arm.  Every distro has it.  If you are
rolling your own OS you already know you are on your own.  If you can't
spend 30 minutes to set up a cross-dev, or a Raspberry Pi, then that is
your choice.

RGDS
GARY
        gem@rellim.com  Tel:+1 541 382 8588