gpsd-users

Re: What is the easiest / best way to build just the Python client libra

From: W. Craig Trader
Subject: Re: What is the easiest / best way to build just the Python client library?
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2022 18:22:22 -0500

Gary ...

The chunk of Python code in https://gitlab.com/gpsd/gpsd/-/tree/master/gps IS a pure Python client library for GPSD. That code doesn't depend on libgps.a at all -- it makes straight TCP calls to the GPSD daemon. It's not well documented, and I'm pretty sure there's a bug with WATCH_RAW, but the code does work, since I've been using it for more than a year.

All I want to do is easily process the .py.in  files to produce the corresponding .py files, without having to do it manually and then maintain my own fork.

- Craig -

On Sun, Feb 13, 2022 at 4:01 PM Gary E. Miller <gem@rellim.com> wrote:
Yo W.!

On Sun, 13 Feb 2022 15:20:07 -0500
"W. Craig Trader" <craig.trader@gmail.com> wrote:

> > Once you have POSIX, and the prerequisites (scons, C compiler,
> > etc.) then the build is one line:
> >
> >     # scons && scons install
> >

> I'm really only interested in building the pure-python client that is
> part of the GPSD source tree
> (https://gitlab.com/gpsd/gpsd/-/tree/master/gps), not the whole kit
> and kaboodle.

There is no Pure Python client part of GPS srouce tree.

You could try installing on a supported system, and then just copying
the Python parts, but some things will not work w/o libgps.a.

What is your problem with libgps.a?

> FYI ... The GPS library from PyPi (https://pypi.org/project/gps/)
> claims to be maintained by ... you.

Yeah, very annoying.

> Maintainers[image: Avatar for frostoov from gravatar.com] frostoov
> <https://pypi.org/user/frostoov/>[image: Avatar for gemiller from
> gravatar.com] gemiller <https://pypi.org/user/gemiller/>

We don't know who this frostnov is, and he has never tlaked to us, that
we know if.  But he is the guy pusing that old mess to PyPi.

RGDS
GARY
        gem@rellim.com  Tel:+1 541 382 8588