gpsd-users

Re: What is the easiest / best way to build just the Python client libra

From: W. Craig Trader
Subject: Re: What is the easiest / best way to build just the Python client library?
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2022 15:20:07 -0500

Gary ...

Thanks for replying.

Once you have POSIX, and the prerequisites (scons, C compiler, etc.) then
the build is one line:

    # scons && scons install

I'm really only interested in building the pure-python client that is part of the GPSD source tree (https://gitlab.com/gpsd/gpsd/-/tree/master/gps), not the whole kit and kaboodle.

FYI ... The GPS library from PyPi (https://pypi.org/project/gps/) claims to be maintained by ... you.

Project links

Statistics

View statistics for this project via Libraries.io, or by using our public dataset on Google BigQuery

Meta

License: BSD

Author: Eric S. Raymond

 Tagsgsp

On Wed, Feb 9, 2022 at 1:24 PM Gary E. Miller <gem@rellim.com> wrote:
Yo W.!

On Tue, 8 Feb 2022 16:50:56 -0500
"W. Craig Trader" <craig.trader@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have a Python application that uses GPSD to capture time, position,
> and heading data.

Easy.

> I was using the gps library from the PyPi
> repository with Python 3.7,

Gack, no.  That is not from us, and horribly out of data.

> but I needed to upgrade to
> Raspbian/Bullseye, which uses Python 3.9. Now I need at gps >= 3.21.
> Yes, Debian now provides an OS package for python3-gps, but I was
> hoping for an OS-independent solution.

YOu came to the right place.  Just download either gpsd release 3.23.1
from gpsd.io, or better yet grab the git head.

> Thus my question: what's the simplest way to build _just_ the Python
> client library, without having to build the entire GPSD server or
> install C development tools (say on Windows).  (Several of the files
> need to be pre-processed, so I can't just copy-and-paste them.)

The easiest way on windows is to get a POSIX compatible box.  I hear
that M$ claims to have the same, but no one reported building gpsd on
WinBlows.

Once you have POSIX, and the prerequisites (scons, C compiler, etc.) then
the build is one line:

    # scons && scons install

> Also, why hasn't the gps library been released to PyPi with every
> release?

You'd have to ask their maintainer.

The Python that we ship is paired with libgps, using FFI.  Re-writing
libgps in Python is too big a task, and would double mainrenance effort.

It is not hard to decode gpsd JSON with Python and no libraries.  Just
open the JSON stream, parse it as JSON.  Convert the JSON to dictionaries,
then look in those.

RGDS
GARY
        gem@rellim.com  Tel:+1 541 382 8588