gpsd-users

gpsd NMEA message parsing

From: Vikash Jha
Subject: gpsd NMEA message parsing
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2022 16:43:09 +0100

Hello,

I would like to understand some behaviors of gpsd python module. I am calling it in streaming mode:
     self.session = gps.gps("localhost", port="2947")
     # WATCH_NEWSTYLE is to force json report streaming
     self.session.stream(gps.WATCH_ENABLE | gps.WATCH_NEWSTYLE)

The behavior I observe when I call self.session.next() is:
I receive the following classes in order: tpv, sky, sky, sky, tpv in one second.

The GNSS sensor sends these values in one second to gpsd over serial in the form of NMEA messages.

Now, what I expected to see is that gpsd combines all the information received from GNSS sensor in one second and presents it as a single class rather than 5 separate classes: tpv,sky,sky,sky,tpv.

And let's say if this is correct behavior then how should I combine them together? Does gpsd output some separator which can be used to group them? If I use a timestamp field to group messages then I can not mark the end until I receive the next timestamp which will cause a delay of 1 second.

Could you please let me know what am I missing here? Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,
Vikash