gpsd-users

Re: Problems with gpsd under BullsEye

From: Don Rolph
Subject: Re: Problems with gpsd under BullsEye
Date: Sat, 1 Jan 2022 11:23:57 -0500

I looked back and realized my testing does not distinguish between the client libgps.so version and the gpsd version.

So:

Dire Wolf 1.7 against libgps.so.23, gpsd 3.17, BullsEye works
Dire Wolf 1.7 against libgps.so.28, gpsd 3.17, BullsEye works

Dire Wolf 1.7 against libgps.so.23, gpsd 3.23.2, BullsEye: fails: floods with packets and never quenches the floor
Dire Wolf 1.7 against libgps.so.28, gpsd 3.23.2, BullsEye: fails: floods with packets but quenches after about 101 packets

This is suggestive that the issue is with the gpsd 3.23.2 rather than the libgps.so version.

Some more points:

This is observed with the MT3333 GPS which sends a message every 2 seconds whether or  not there is a gps fix.
This is not observed with the Stratux GPSYes based on the ublox-8 which is appears to be only sending occasional messages prior to achieving gps fix.

As soon as gps fix is achieved, the Dire Wolf application is complaining about having to drop messages because the queue is filled.

Best I can do so far, but the data seems to continue to point to the gpsd 3.23.2 (an 3.22-4) executable.