gpsd-users

Re: Problems with gpsd under BullsEye

From: Don Rolph
Subject: Re: Problems with gpsd under BullsEye
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2021 15:06:03 -0500

It is most clearly a gpsd issue.  It does not occur if gpsd is not called by Dire Wolf.  If we call the gps device directly without gpsd, there is no issue.

Using gpsd 3.17 under Buster this does not occur.

I keep poking but it looks like it is an issue with gpsd executable AND the version of gpsd libraries used by the client software.

On Fri, Dec 31, 2021 at 2:09 PM Gary E. Miller <gem@rellim.com> wrote:
Yo Don!

On Fri, 31 Dec 2021 11:52:51 -0500
Don Rolph <don.rolph@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have been poking to try to understand some instabilities I have
> observed with Dire Wolf using gpsd under Raspbian BullsEye.

Not much we can do for 18 month old software.

> - a flood of packets through the sound card when achieving gps fix
> with the MT3333 GPS

How does a packet o through a sound card?

> - an apparent failure to update the gps coordinates used by Dire Wolf
> when using a u-blox GPS puck

What is Dire Wolf?

> As noted below, if I substitute the gpsd 3.23.2 version for the
> default BullsEye gpsd 3.22-4 version all issues I have observed have
> apparently been resolved.

So file a bug report with the BullsEye people.

> I will include this in my OS build instructions for BullsEye.

Is there something wrong with the existing build instructions?

> I successfully build a gpsd V3.23.2 executable.
>
> I then use apt-get install to add the gpsd components.
>
> I then replaced the /usr/sbin/gpds v3.22-4 with the gpsd 3.23.2
> executable.

Mixing binaries is not a good idea.  In some modes of opteration, gsd
passes paccked binary structirs to clients.  THat is not stable over
tool chains.

> - the autobauding problem for 9600 baud gps in V3.22-4 is fixed in
> gpsd 3.23.2

We knew that.

> The gpsd 3.22-4 executable seems to have instabilities.

Not our bonary.  You need to report that to the people that built it.

> The gpsd 3.23.2 build environment is incompatible with the darlier
> development code.

Huh?  That would be news to me.  As part of gpsd CI, there are pipelines
running a wide variety of tool chains.

RGDS
GARY
        gem@rellim.com  Tel:+1 541 382 8588