gpsd-users

Re: -GPSD 3.22 autobauding under bullsEye

From: Don Rolph
Subject: Re: -GPSD 3.22 autobauding under bullsEye
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2021 21:03:24 -0500

One can certainly do better and cheaper for GPS units, but for a GPS unit at a reasonable price within the PI Zero form factor, this appeared to be among the cheapest.

This is part of a stack of boards based on the PI Zero W or PI Zero 2 W.  The emissions from the PI Zero, USB WIFI chip, and USB hub preclude the GPS board from making a fix.  This is easily demonstrated by experiment.  Having the GPS board far removed from the stack results in a rapid fix.  Placing the GPS board at the top of the stack results in never getting a fix.  Introducing the aluminum foil shield between the GPS board and the rest of the stack now allows fix to be achieved. Making the foil larger and slightly curved causes the GPS to achieve fix in typically seconds.

If I want to fit within the PI Zero form factor, the foil shield must be smaller and hence has less impact on the speed of achieving a fix.  And for this version of the  project I have to fit in app[oxiately the PI Zero W form factor.  Other versions of this project typically use a GPS puck unit which does not have this problem.

Actually I can't ignore SIRF:  for the application the standard equipment presently used uses the SirF chip:  if I exceed SIRF chip performance then this is better than the present solution.

On Mon, Dec 13, 2021 at 8:01 PM Gary E. Miller <gem@rellim.com> wrote:
Yo Don!

On Mon, 13 Dec 2021 19:29:41 -0500
Don Rolph <don.rolph@gmail.com> wrote:

> ADAFruit ultimate USB GpS:
>
> - https://www.adafruit.com/product/4279

My condolences.  Depending on the exact model, you may have a really
old MTK3339, or an old MTK3333.

You can do a lot better, for cheaper.

> Yes.  If I have this set up with a large RF shield, this obtains a
> fix in seconds.

What is a "large RF sheild"?  TTFF is entirely dependent on the 4 items
I alread described.  RF changes can only degrade things.

>  However, I need a form factor similar to a
> Raspberry PI Zero

Easy.  There are many good options.

> AND I have to shield the GPS unit from the
> Raspberry PI RF fields.

Uh, why?  GPS signals are cirularly polarized, so interference from
other sources is rare.

> This reduces the gain of the patch antenna
> and thus reduces S/N ratios and increases fix time.

Yeah, so don't do that.

> I am competing with a SiRF chip set, so minutes is not a major
> problem.

Since SiRF got bought out, you can ignore them going forward.

> OK, I can:
>
> - disable gpsd
>
> - cat /dev/ttyUSB0
>
> and I should see the native GPS stream.