gpsd-users

Re: Strange ntpmon offset

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: Strange ntpmon offset
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2021 14:43:47 -0800

Yo Massimiliano!

On Mon, 29 Nov 2021 23:31:30 +0100
Massimiliano Fago <massimiliano.fago@gmail.com> wrote:

> Il Lun 29 Nov 2021, 22:25 Gary E. Miller <gem@rellim.com> ha scritto:
>
> > Yo Massimiliano!
> >
> > On Mon, 29 Nov 2021 22:11:17 +0100
> > Massimiliano Fago <massimiliano.fago@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > This is my full ntpd.conf:
> > >
> > > #pool us.pool.ntp.org iburst
> >
> > The pool statement does no good when commented out.  It should be
> > uncommented, and after the PPS chimer.
> >

> my system is not connected to internet,

Not good.

> this pool line is really
> needs?

That, or something else.  ntpd uses a clustering algorithm to pick the
best chimer to sync to.  With ounly one chimer, that fails.  You can over
ride that behaviro by putting this in your ntp.conf:

    tos minclock 1 minsane 1

This is all described here:

    https://gpsd.io/gpsd-time-service-howto.html

Which you should already have read.

> > > #MFA aggiunto il 30/09/2019
> > > #server 127.127.43.0     # standard Linux RTC
> >
> > Or you caould add this, and 4 more, servers.
> >

> which other 4 servers?

You can use the pool, or pick 4 near you.  depends on your network
location and connections.

> > > my fear is that the system clock changes randomly. Can it be
> > > possible?
> >
> > Not only possible, but what you are seeing.
> >

> I need to remove this possibility, how I can do?

Connect to the internet, and use the pool, or 4 static chimers.

> > See those for more suggestions.
> >

> in this document you talk about "chrony"
> is it better than ntpd?

Some think so, some don't.  YMMV.  chrony may be better when
there is no internet connection, but has fewer tools.

RGDS
GARY
        gem@rellim.com  Tel:+1 541 382 8588