gpsd-users

Re: GPS with 2Hz feed

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: GPS with 2Hz feed
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2021 10:56:13 -0700

Yo Nick!

On Thu, 28 Oct 2021 13:46:27 +0100
Nick Taylor <nicktaylor@dataskill.uk> wrote:

> We are trying to test our app which normally expects a std 1Hz GPS
> feed, but a client supplies a 2Hz feed.

I assume you mean fix messages twice a second?  And not PPS twice a second.

Few GNSS receivers actaully compute fixes faster than 1Hz.  They output
messages faster than that by interpolation.  Most users don't notice
the difference.

> Anyone know of GPS receiver that we could use for testing with 2Hz
> feed rate? We could use serial, usb or tcp nmea

Many u-blox can do that.  But in most cases u-blox discourages it.  The
ZED-F9P can get up to 25Hz, downhill and downwind.

The NEO-M8U can do 30Hz, but are hard to get.  The MAX-M8* can do up to 10Hz

Rather than specify all that can do 2Hz, best to see what you can buy
and check the specs.

The ubxtool can set the rates for you.  Best to get a receiver with
non-valatile memory so you can store config changes.

> BTW I know you will all say that it doesn't matter, but our
> application is storing distance travelled every second so it does
> cause issues...

gpsd should handle it just fine.  Up to your app to filter for what you
want from the stream.

RGDS
GARY
        gem@rellim.com  Tel:+1 541 382 8588