gpsd-users

Socket Problems

From: Cale Collins
Subject: Socket Problems
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2021 16:28:37 -0700

Hello,

When I "cat" the output of my GPS (/dev/ttyACM0) I see the expected
fix data, also when I use "gpsmon" it's working great.  But I have a
problem when using "cgps", all the fields are N/A.  I'm thinking this
has to do with how the socket is configured.

When I installed the gpsd package I noticed this in the output:

Creating/updating gpsd user account...
Created symlink /etc/systemd/system/sockets.target.wants/gpsd.socket →
/lib/systemd/system/gpsd.socket.
Failed to preset unit: Unit file gpsd.socket.in.service does not exist.
/usr/bin/deb-systemd-helper: error: systemctl preset failed on
gpsd.socket.in: No such file or directory
gpsd.service is a disabled or a static unit, not starting it.
Failed to get unit file state for gpsd.socket.in.service: No such file
or directory
gpsd.socket.in is a disabled or a static unit, not starting it.

I can recreate this when reconfiguring the package:

root@focal-newport:~# dpkg-reconfigure gpsd
Creating/updating gpsd user account...
Failed to preset unit: Unit file gpsd.socket.in.service does not exist.
/usr/bin/deb-systemd-helper: error: systemctl preset failed on
gpsd.socket.in: No such file or directory
gpsd.service is a disabled or a static unit not running, not starting it.
Failed to get unit file state for gpsd.socket.in.service: No such file
or directory
gpsd.socket.in is a disabled or a static unit not running, not starting it.

Following the troubleshooting guide:

"ls /dev/ttyACM0" shows my device is available
/dev/ttyACM0

"ps -ef|grep gpsd" No GPSD process is running
root        2203     451  0 01:49 ttyAMA0  00:00:00 grep --color=auto gpsd

"lsof -n | grep /dev/ttyACM0" returns nothing

"gpsmon /dev/ttyACM0" returns expected output (works)

"ldconfig"
/sbin/ldconfig.real: /lib/aarch64-linux-gnu/libgps.so.27 is not a symbolic link
/sbin/ldconfig.real: /lib/aarch64-linux-gnu/libQgpsmm.so.27 is not a
symbolic link
/sbin/ldconfig.real: /lib/aarch64-linux-gnu/libgpsdpacket.so.27 is not
a symbolic link

"gpsd -N -D3 -F @RUNDIR/gpsd.sock /dev/ttyACM0" fails:
gpsd:ERROR: can't bind to local socket @RUNDIR/gpsd.sock
gpsd:ERROR: control socket create failed, netlib error -1

I'm not sure how much output to include, I don't want to overwhelm
with a bunch of garbage.  Please let me know if there's any more
relevant information I should provide.  I went through the systemd
troubleshooting section, but I had no success.

The system I'm using is ARM64, Ubuntu Focal, 5.10 kernel.  This is a custom built kernel, could it be I'm missing a kernel parameter?

Thanks,

Cale Collins
Field Applications Engineer II
Gateworks Corporation
(805)781-2000 x37
3026 S. Higuera, San Luis Obispo, CA 93401
www.gateworks.com