gpsd-users

Re: GPSD 3.23~rc1 connection to GPS

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: GPSD 3.23~rc1 connection to GPS
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2021 13:26:28 -0700

Yo Aranza!

On Wed, 11 Aug 2021 15:06:13 -0500
Aranza Shaccid Leon <leon18@pnw.edu> wrote:

> Thank you for the advice. May I ask why the meta-class SAT has a
> different rate than the other classes?

Most of the clases just contain one level of data.  But the SKY
class contains an array of SATs.  csv files do not like arrays, so
to make gpscsv work, the SAts are flattened.

> And how is the health of a
> satellite classified as healthy or unhealthy (such as is it too far
> to get a good reading?)?

"Health" is broadcast from the GNSS satellites to the receiver.  health
is what the sats say it is.  I suggest reading IS-GPS-200L for how
GPS does it.  The other constellations are different.

> I read that uSat is the number of satellites
> used in navigation,

Yes.

> does this mean then that this is number of
> satellites locked onto for the GPS?

No.

Those numbers come from the receiver.  Read the documentation for your
receiver to see what they mean.

> And nSat is the number of
> satellite objects in “satellites”,

Yes.

> does this mean the number of
> satellites the GPS can see/found?

No.

Those numbers come from the receiver.  Read the documentation for your
receiver to see what they mean.

RGDS
GARY
        gem@rellim.com  Tel:+1 541 382 8588