gpsd-users

Re: COEX GPS (model UBX-M8030 IC) on Raspberry Pi 4 Model B 2018 connect

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: COEX GPS (model UBX-M8030 IC) on Raspberry Pi 4 Model B 2018 connection issues
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2021 11:09:45 -0700

Yo Aranza!

On Sat, 31 Jul 2021 01:46:48 -0500
Aranza Shaccid Leon <leon18@pnw.edu> wrote:

> Thank you for your suggestion. I attempted but it didn’t work.

I haev made many, and you do not say what you did, or the results, so
nothing anyone can do with that statement.

> May I
> ask am I supposed to be in a certain file before attempting this such
> as gpsd/gpsd?

Nope.  Does not matter what your cwd is.  To start gpsd you should
be root.  The clients can run as any user, in any directory.

Assuming you followed the buildinstructions.  Which you still have not
confirmed either.

> I found however the etc default gpsd file which I
> understand works under systemd. Despite this may I ask if I’m
> supposed to use the udev rules then?

If you can't get it to run without systemd(umb), you;ll never figure out
to run it with systemd(umber).  Just be sure systemd(umbest) is
not controlling gpsd.

> I’m running into an issue attempting to run cgps as well. I have to
> use the command python3 cgps to run any programs but this error keeps
> appearing:

cgps is NOT a python program!  It is a C program, that you built and
installed using the procedure in build.adoc.

> I found in the build.adoc that this is an error that may occur due to
> Python3 but it suggested that I use the command ln -s
> /usr/bin/python3 /usr/bin/python. However another error appears: ln:
> failed to create symbolic link ‘ /usr/bin/python’: File exists

You only need to do it once.  You already did it.

> May I ask for suggestions on how to get cgps to work?

First, be sure you installed all of gpsd, per build.adoc

second, gpsd must be running:  gpsd -n /dev/ttyACM0

Third, as any user, in any directory type in the shell: cgps

RGDS
GARY
        gem@rellim.com  Tel:+1 541 382 8588