gpsd-users

Re: COEX GPS (model UBX-M8030 IC) on Raspberry Pi 4 Model B 2018 connect

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: COEX GPS (model UBX-M8030 IC) on Raspberry Pi 4 Model B 2018 connection issues
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2021 20:06:03 -0700

Yo Aranza!

On Fri, 30 Jul 2021 21:48:13 -0700
Aranza Shaccid Leon <leon18@pnw.edu> wrote:

> May I ask how I set up the path for gpsd to connect to a USB GPS?

Depends on if you use systemd(umb) or udev.  Those make it
automatic, when they work.

Depends on the receiver.  Your reciever may be /dev/ttyUSBx, where x
can be 0 to 9.  Or /dev/ttyACMx, or something else.

If you are NOT using systemd(umber) or udev, and your receiver is
/dev/ttyACM0, then just:
        gpsd -n /dev/ttyACM0

This is all in the gpsd man page.

> have downloaded version 3.22, but I'm unsure how to set up the
> DEVICES:"/dev/ttyACM1" command.

YOu only do that for some flavors or systemd(umbest) and not others.

Sorry, can't help you with systemd(umbest).

> While I was gpsd version 3.17 I could
> use sudo nano /etc/default/gpsd to set up the path, but for this
> version I'm don't know where to find this. May I

If you can't find the file, then maybe gpsd is not running under
systemd(rool), so just ry:
        gpsd -n /dev/ttyACM1

> I know I need to use udev rules (my gps is a u-blox 8 of the port
> ttyACM0)

No, you do not.  Do it the simple way first.

> so the commands in the files pi@clover-4865:~/gpsd $ nano
> gpsd.rules.in seem to do this, but do I need to replace gps%n with a
> value?

Sorry, I never do that, too complicated for me.  Never needed to.

> Or is it in pi@clover-4865:~/gpsd/gpsd-3.22.1~dev/clients/gps $ nano
> gps.py.in?

Do not edit gps.py.in, or any other file in the build tree.  Follow the
build instructions in build.adoc.

RGDS
GARY
        gem@rellim.com  Tel:+1 541 382 8588