gpsd-users

Re: NMEA time oscillates

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: NMEA time oscillates
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2021 10:05:56 -0800

Yo Steven!

On Thu, 11 Mar 2021 22:48:17 -0600
Steven Sommars <stevesommarsntp@gmail.com> wrote:

> GPS: Uputronics RPi board [ublox]   Rpi4.
> gpsd -n /dev/ttyS0 /dev/pps0   [Invoked by root from command line]

Good.

> Using gpsd 3.20 the NMEA offset (reported by ntpshmmon) is typically
> around 110 msec.

Why are you using NMEA on a u-blox baord?

> Using gpsd git head the NMEA offset oscillates between about 140 msec
> (duration ~440 sec) and then 580 msec (duration ~440 sec).

Normal.

> Resetting gps using ubxtool did not help.

Of course.

> I have no specific need to run git head, but this behavior surprised
> me.

Why?  NMEA senences are variable length, and varying numbers of them
are sent every fix epoch.  So that takes varying amounts of time to
get squeezed throught the serial pipe.

> Suggestions?

Chill.  The PPS is keeping your time accurate, ignore the NMEA time.

RGDS
GARY
        gem@rellim.com  Tel:+1 541 382 8588