gpsd-users

Re: Web page updates following recent discussions

From: David Taylor
Subject: Re: Web page updates following recent discussions
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2021 08:15:28 +0000

On 18/01/2021 01:25, Gary E. Miller wrote:
Yo David!

On Sun, 17 Jan 2021 10:18:54 +0000
David Taylor<gm8arv@yahoo.co.uk>  wrote:

I've updated the section on using type 1 ref-clock driver, only as an
emergency/backup mode ONLY when other time sources are not available.
More common to have NTP read the RTC, but with noselect.  THat way you
can monitor the RTC, without accidently selecting it.

More RTC, including the Uputronics, have a program to discipline the
RTC.  So when you have NTP use the RTC you can have "interesting"
feedback loops.  Be sure to turn off the disiplining when useing
the RTC as a chimer.

Even worse, when you internet connection returns, you will be serving
RTC time as stratum 1.  Not good.

RGDS
GARY

I hope to be testing all this shortly so I'll look out for these issues. The feedback loop will be "interesting".

Cheers,
David
Web: https://www.satsignal.eu
Email: david-taylor@blueyonder.co.uk