gpsd-users

Re: Enabling GALILEO after gpsd has automatically started

From: David Taylor
Subject: Re: Enabling GALILEO after gpsd has automatically started
Date: Sat, 16 Jan 2021 10:43:36 +0000

On 15/01/2021 18:37, Gary E. Miller wrote:
Yo David!

On Fri, 15 Jan 2021 08:19:52 +0000
David Taylor<gm8arv@yahoo.co.uk>  wrote:

I agree with your implication that using the protocol on the
command-line and showing it explicitly would make things clearer, and
I'll try to do that in future.
Sorry, lost me.  I try to never just imply anything.  What exactly
did you think was not explicit?

There's a good write-up on and diagram about saving u-blox
configurations in section 3.1, Configuration Concept here:
https://www.u-blox.com/sites/default/files/products/documents/u-blox8-M8_ReceiverDescrProtSpec_%28UBX-13003221%29.pdf
Yes, I used that to update my examples:

https://gpsd.io/ubxtool-examples.html#_saving_u_blox_configuration

The problem is that is just for the 8.  Every u-blox model is deifferent,
and how ubxtool handles it is also unique.

I am adding more to that example today.

The particular module has two battery backups, one for the RTC and  a
second for the GPS.
I thought you werre using Uputronics HAT?  It has no batteries.  It
has SUper Caps.

    ubxtool -p SAVE -P 18.00

works across both a warm and a power-down reboot.  Here's its URL:
You will notice that in my document at the URL above.

Is there anything in my document that you would add or change?

RGDS
GARY

Gary,

I'm happy with your document - but it must have taken me some time to find it! I think of super-capacitors as rechargeable batteries, hence my use of the term. You are correct, though.

Implicit/explicit. There are a couple of examples where there are two ways of doing things:

  sudo nano /etc/ntp.conf
or:
  sudo su
  nano /etc/ntp.conf

  using the systemd supplied with the OS
or:
  starting gpsd another way.

It's not always obvious why, though. Either works. My lack of deep Linux understanding likely doesn't help.

Cheers,
David
Web: https://www.satsignal.eu
Email: david-taylor@blueyonder.co.uk