gpsd-users

Re: 3.22 not sending PPS to SHM

From: Greg Troxel
Subject: Re: 3.22 not sending PPS to SHM
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 2021 13:04:15 -0500

David Taylor <gm8arv@yahoo.co.uk> writes:

> On 12/01/2021 15:21, Greg Troxel wrote:
>>
>> David Taylor <gm8arv@yahoo.co.uk> writes:
>>
>>>    sudo gpsd /dev/ttyS0 -s 115200 -n -F /var/run/gpsd.sock
>>
>> That is conspicuously missing /dev/pps0.  But I don't use Linux much and
>> the PPS support in gpsd relies on  beyond-RFC extensions, so I'm at the
>> limit of my understanding.
>
> Well, that's two of us!
>
> I do want to understand, though.  I don't think there's any serial
> information on /dev/pps0, so I'm beginning to suspect that possibly
> gpsd only supports PPS if it's on a real serial port, but that doesn't
> seem logical.

My impression is that when you give a device to gpsd, and it's serial,
it tries to speak a protocol to it, and if that serial port has pps via
modem control lines, it adds that.  If your pps is elsewhere, via gpio,
that's fine, but somehow gpsd needs to know that this gpio pin is pps.

So why don't you run gpsd and also pass the pps device that you have
test to work?