gpsd-users

Re: Why for gpsd ubuntu-mono?

From: Charles Curley
Subject: Re: Why for gpsd ubuntu-mono?
Date: Sat, 9 Jan 2021 13:57:15 -0700

On Sat, 9 Jan 2021 23:00:41 +0300
Владимир Калачихин <v.kalachikhin@gmail.com> wrote:

> I tried to install the gpsd & gpsd-clients to fresh Ubuntu Server. It
> installed the X and half desktop,

Many of the GPSD clients require X to run, so that is a reasonable
dependency. They are written, I believe, in Python, so will pull in all
sorts of python dependencies. Try "apt install gpsd" instead.

(Maybe Bernd would be willing to split the clients into
gpsd-clients-ncurses and gpsd-clients-X or some such???)

There is a way to test by piping from the gpsd daemon described in the
docs. Or you may still want a CLI client for testing. I have one written
in C, but haven't put it on github yet. Anyone else?

Or you can install gpsd only on the server, then set the clients to run
on a desktop with all the GUI stuff. Just specify the appropriate host
name when launching the clients. Installing the clients will pull in
gpsd itself, but you can ignore that.

--
Does anybody read signatures any more?

https://charlescurley.com