gpsd-users

Re: GPSD Not Using /dev/pps0 But ppstest Shows /dev/pps0 is OK

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: GPSD Not Using /dev/pps0 But ppstest Shows /dev/pps0 is OK
Date: Wed, 2 Dec 2020 09:07:07 -0800

Yo Joshua!

On Wed, 2 Dec 2020 11:24:16 -0500
Joshua Quesenberry <engnfrc@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm running GPSD on an RPi 4. I have GPSD pulling in the GPS data over
> serial without any issues. Now I'm trying to pull in to the PPS
> signal that is on GPIO 6.

A common thing to do.  I assume you read the HOWTO on that?

Where did you get your gpsd from?  Was it build with MAGIC_HAT?

> I've added to /boot/config.txt the line:
> `dtoverlay=pps-gpio,gpiopin=6` and appended to /etc/modules line
> `pps-gpio`

You do not need to modify /etc/modules.  The dteoverlay= already brings
in the pps-gpio module.

> and now after a reboot I see pps_gpio and pps_core loaded.

And what does dmesg say about it?

> Using command `sudo ppstest /dev/pps0` I see this output, which
> confirms to me that /dev/pps0 is in fact my PPS signal coming into
> the RPi.
>
> trying PPS source "/dev/pps0"
> found PPS source "/dev/pps0"
> ok, found 1 source(s), now start fetching data...
> source 0 - assert 1606924323.767119450, sequence: 205 - clear
> 0.000000000, sequence: 0

Good.  At least considering the poor pps-gpio module...

> I then modified my GPSD startup script

Uh, what gpsd startup script?  For what distro?

> such that now when the app is
> running I see this process: `/usr/sbin/gpsd -r tcp://127.0.0.1:5760
> /dev/pps0`

That look wrong.  No "-n", extra "-r", and what is tcp://127.0.0.1:5760?

Running as root?

> Now from what I can tell reading around in the documentation gpsmon
> should have something showing in the PPS field and ntpshmmon should
> be outputting something, however both the PPS field is empty and
> ntpshmmon isn't outputting anything at all.

Not surprising, given your odd configuration.

Does gpsmon sow a 3D fix?  And a good location?

> Can someone give me guidance on the next steps?
>
> Version Information:
> gpsd: 3.17 (revision 3.17)

3.17 is really old.  UPdate to 3.21 or git head.

> # Socket export enabled.
> # Shared memory export enabled.
> # DBUS export enabled
> # Time service features enabled.
> # PPS enabled.

Any reason you did not go with the gpsd build defaults?

> Note that this gpsd binary was provided through the apt package.

Then not from us, gpsd does not distribute any packages.  What distro?
So we can't patch it.

RGDS
GARY
        gem@rellim.com  Tel:+1 541 382 8588