gpsd-users

Re: Recommend a USB gps for Rpi

From: David J Taylor
Subject: Re: Recommend a USB gps for Rpi
Date: Sat, 10 Oct 2020 07:55:11 +0100

Can anyone on the list recommend a USB gps for the Raspberry Pi? My use case is for it to provide time services to a cluster so it doesn’t have to be super accurate. I currently have a u-blox 8 which works with gpsd but the time from it jumps all over the place.

I am aware of the Adafruit Ultimate gps hat which is a bit pricey. It would need an external antenna as the Pi’s themselves don’t have clear access to the sky. My current one is in a skylight with a short USB extension lead to reach. The Adafruit hat costs $100 and another $30 for the antenna in Australia.

Thanks in advance.

MarkJ
==================================

Mark,

I can recommend the Uputronics HAT:

https://store.uputronics.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=60_64&product_id=81

It can provide the PPS required for precision timing, and works well with the "$10" GPS puck antennas.

If your u-blox 8 isn't a fake (I've had Chinese ones which are fakes, 6 or 7 remarked) there shouldn't be jumps. Is the antenna well positioned? How many satellites are used? Any GPS jammer parked outside? I use puck antennas on a magnetic sheet just near a south-facing window and get excellent results:

 http://www.satsignal.eu/ntp/2019-01-08-1330-23b-GPS-antenna-farm.jpg
from:
 http://www.satsignal.eu/ntp/

If the number of satellites is marginal, you could try ensuring that as many constellations as possible are active. It might help. GPS, GLONASS and Galileo work well together. Typically I see 35 satellites and use 19, this on an indoor puck antenna on the second floor of a two-storey house.

 http://www.satsignal.eu/mrtg/raspi22-gps.html

Cheers,
David
Web: https://www.satsignal.eu