gpsd-users

Permission Error When Opening gpsd For XTRX Device

From: Bradley McFadden
Subject: Permission Error When Opening gpsd For XTRX Device
Date: Wed, 2 Sep 2020 11:54:28 -0400

Hello all,

I'm trying to set up gpsd to read data from the onboard gps that the XTRX radio provides.
In the devices list, it is listed as /dev/ttyXTRX0.
I can read data from this device using:
stty -F /dev/ttyXTRX0 speed 9600 && cat /dev/ttyXTRX0.

The error I'm getting is this:
sail@gr110:~/Desktop$ sudo gpsd -n -N -D5 -S 3900 /dev/ttyXTRX0
gpsd:INFO: launching (Version 3.20)
gpsd:IO: opening IPv4 socket
gpsd:IO: opening IPv6 socket
gpsd:INFO: listening on port 3900
gpsd:PROG: NTP: shmat(20,0,0) succeeded, segment 0
gpsd:PROG: NTP: shmat(21,0,0) succeeded, segment 1
gpsd:PROG: NTP: shmat(22,0,0) succeeded, segment 2
gpsd:PROG: NTP: shmat(23,0,0) succeeded, segment 3
gpsd:PROG: NTP: shmat(24,0,0) succeeded, segment 4
gpsd:PROG: NTP: shmat(25,0,0) succeeded, segment 5
gpsd:PROG: NTP: shmat(26,0,0) succeeded, segment 6
gpsd:PROG: NTP: shmat(27,0,0) succeeded, segment 7
gpsd:PROG: successfully connected to the DBUS system bus
gpsd:PROG: shmget(0x47505344, 24024, 0666) for SHM export succeeded
gpsd:PROG: shmat() for SHM export succeeded, segment 28
gpsd:INFO: stashing device /dev/ttyXTRX0 at slot 0
gpsd:PROG: no /etc/gpsd/device-hook present, skipped running ACTIVATE hook
gpsd:INFO: SER: opening GPS data source type 2 at '/dev/ttyXTRX0'
gpsd:ERROR: SER: device open of /dev/ttyXTRX0 failed: Permission denied - retrying read-only
gpsd:ERROR: SER: read-only device open of /dev/ttyXTRX0 failed: Permission denied
gpsd:ERROR: initial GPS device /dev/ttyXTRX0 open failed
gpsd:ERROR: can't run with neither control socket nor devices open

This error doesn't make sense to me as I've checked that the user and gpsd are both in the dialout group.
If I can read the data from the device, why can't gpsd open it?

Thanks for any suggestions on how to fix this or anything pointing me in the right direction.

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTE - AVIS: COURRIEL CONFIDENTIEL.

You can view the confidentiality terms at https://laurentian.ca/confidentiality. Notre avis de confidentialité est disponible au site https://laurentienne.ca/avis