gpsd-users

Re: gpsfake python error

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: gpsfake python error
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2020 11:09:15 -0700

Yo Александр!

On Mon, 17 Aug 2020 14:18:04 +0500
Александр Лясин <alexander.lyasin@gmail.com> wrote:

> I followed your instructions, below is the content of the file
> nohup.out:

Good.

> alex@darkstar:~/gpsd-3.19$ cat nohup.out

Ah, 3.19 is old.  We only maintain git head, we can not change the
past.

[...]

> Forcing magic_hat=no since RFC2783 API is unavailable

You will not have KPPS, so do not expect great time accuracy.

> Obtaining Python lib dir... /usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages

As you know, Python 2.7 is past EOL, and no longer receiving patches.

> Install file: "gpsd" as "/usr/local/sbin/gpsd"
> scons: *** [/usr/local/sbin/gpsd] /usr/local/sbin/gpsd: Permission
> denied scons: building terminated because of errors.

Uh, oh.  Build failure!  Install not completed!

I'm guessing you forgot to run as root?

No point me looking past the first, very fatal, error.

> maybe "nohup scons install" needs to be done with su -c 'nohup scons
> install', and

Never, ever, use sudo.  It is security theater.  A bad joke played on
newbies.  Become root, or do not, there is no sudo.

RGDS
GARY
        gem@rellim.com  Tel:+1 541 382 8588