gpsd-users

Re: "scons check" of 3.20 fails

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: "scons check" of 3.20 fails
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2020 16:51:09 -0700

Yo Charles!

On Tue, 16 Jun 2020 17:39:11 -0600
Charles Curley <charlescurley@charlescurley.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 16 Jun 2020 15:10:58 -0700
> "Gary E. Miller" <gem@rellim.com> wrote:
>
> > Yo Charles!
> >
> > On Tue, 16 Jun 2020 15:33:31 -0600
> > Charles Curley <charlescurley@charlescurley.com> wrote:
> >
> > > I just pulled in the latest, checked out version 3.20, compiled
> > > and tried to check.
> >
> > 3.20 was tagged and tarred up in 2019.  Nothng can be done to
> > history.
>
> This is new.

3.20 has not changed.  So must be Buster.

> I was able to compile and run it a week ago. As far as I
> can tell, I've made no changes to that computer (other than package
> updates) since.

Update never break anything?

> > > This is on Debian 10, buster, as updated, on a 64 bit machine.
> >
> > If buster, released after 3.20, broke something in 3.20.  I can't
> > fix buster either.  Was it repeatable?  Did you play with
> > WRITE_PAD?
>
> Yes, it is repeatable.

Ocuh.

> I have no idea what WRITE_PAD is, so probably not.

On some distros, if the tests are run too fast, things fail.  As
an ugly hack, delays are inserted into the test.  To add some
more delay:

# export WRITE_PAD=0.01
# scons check

If that fails, tryL

# export WRITE_PAD=0.2
# scons check

> > Does git head build?  Getting to be about time for a new release.
> > People need to start testing what we can fix before it too is
> > frozen.
>
> Most of it builds. All the tests run.

You have a git head build failure?  That I'd like to see.

This looks normal:

> -D_XOPEN_SOURCE=600 -I/usr/include/dbus-1.0
> -I/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/dbus-1.0/include monitor_ubx.c gcc -o
> gpsmon -pthread gpsmon.o monitor_garmin.o monitor_italk.o
> monitor_nmea0183.o monitor_oncore.o monitor_sirf.o
> monitor_superstar2.o monitor_tnt.o monitor_ubx.o -L. -lgpsd
> -lgps_static -lm -lrt -lnsl -ldbus-1 -lncurses -ltinfo Creating
> 'gps-3.20.1~dev.egg-info' scons: done building targets. WARNING:
> asciidoctor not found. WARNING: Some documentation and html will not
> be built. WARNING: Python2.7 too old (need 3.6): gps/aiogps.py will
> not be installed charles@iorich:~/versioned/gpsd$

> asciidoctor failed because I don't have it installed.

Then not a failure.  A feature you can't use.

> I do have python 3 (3.7.3) installed. I will leave that issue to
> others.

I test with 2.7, 3.6, 3.6, 3.7, 3.8 and soon 3.9.  gpsd does not
use any deprecated or removed Python 2.7 features.  Or any features
not in 2.7 that are not handled by future.

So nothing to worry there.  Python 3.7 will get shoved down your throat
soon, get ready to duck.  It breaks a lot of packages.  Just not gpsd.

RGDS
GARY
        gem@rellim.com  Tel:+1 541 382 8588