gpsd-users

Re: Question about gpsd library/linking for an external gpsd client?

From: Greg Troxel
Subject: Re: Question about gpsd library/linking for an external gpsd client?
Date: Fri, 05 Jun 2020 19:59:55 -0400

"Gary E. Miller" <gem@rellim.com> writes:

> env.AddPreAction(binaryinstall, 'rm -f %s/libgps.*' % (installdir('libdir'),
> ))
>
> AddPreAction() was added in 2015.  It was intended to run once, before
> the rest of binary install.  But it runs once before each item of
> the install, and with the new item, it runs twice and breaks the lib
> install.

I think it's a bug for the install target to remove files, so I would
prefer that you just remove the entire notion of running rm.  People who
install into a shared prefix (vs using a package manager) need to clean
up various things by hand.   I don't think it helps to rm libs
specially, and having and older .so.N isn't damaging.   The less magic
and unpredicted side effects the better.