gpsd-users

Re: Build Errors with Timeservice + Ubuntu 16.04

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: Build Errors with Timeservice + Ubuntu 16.04
Date: Wed, 3 Jun 2020 13:46:22 -0700

Yo Dan!

On Wed, 3 Jun 2020 15:11:32 -0400
Dan Williams <dwilliams@nextdroid.com> wrote:

> Does anybody have experience building gpsd with pps or timeservice
> enabled under Ubuntu?

Many.

> ( are there perhaps any automated tests run on
> an Ubuntu machine, that I could compare against?)

Run the regression tests: scons check

> I'm unable to build gpsd with timeservice enabled
> ("timeservice=yes").  The build step  `scons check` breaks, and I'd
> love to know what dependencies to add / rm / fix.

We can't help without seeing the full output of your build log.

> == Symptoms: ==
> 1. 'scons check' fails (see attached file: scon-check-fail.txt)

"tail" removed all the good stuff.

> 2. gpsd doesn't update the shm segments (according to either 'ipcs
> -mt' or 'ntpshmmon')

If you can't build it, you certainly can't run it!  First things first.

> 3. 'cgps' and 'gpspipe' work as expected, while 'gpsmon' throws
> permission errors,

Very odd.

> When properly configured NMEA + PPS should give us millisecond
> timing,

Easily.

> 1. Start with any Ubuntu OS
> 2. Download gpsd from source / git
> 3. checkout latest stable release (assumed to be 3.20)
> 4. build with 'timeservice=yes`*

timeserice=yes is for Raspberry Pi HATs.  Are you running on a Raspberry Pi?

> * I also need to include the '--config=force' flag, or else I
> encounter an link error for pthreads.   I hope this is unrelated.

What is your ENTIRE build procedure?  With logs please.

RGDS
GARY
        gem@rellim.com  Tel:+1 541 382 8588