gpsd-users

Re: Questions about decoding subframe messages (ublox F9P)

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: Questions about decoding subframe messages (ublox F9P)
Date: Tue, 26 May 2020 20:44:42 -0700

Yo Curtis!

On Tue, 26 May 2020 22:07:53 -0500
Curtis Olson <address@hidden> wrote:

> > u-blox port numbering is random, and badly documented.  You'll need
> > to run experiments to figure what is what.
> >

> On windows you get to play guess the com port I suppose, but on LInux
> it pretty consistently comes up as /dev/ttyACM0 ...

I'm not talking about how winblows or linux numbers the port.  I'm
talking about how u-blox numbers the ports.

I find every reset will toggle the u-blox on linux from ACM0 to ACM1 and
back.

> > > also have Windows 10 in a virtual box so I can run u-center and
> > > talk to the receiver that way.
> >
> > Can't help you there.
> >

> It's not as bad as it sounds, except u-center is really weird and I'm
> still not sure I have it completely figured out.

2 hours, and zero results is bad.  AHve you upgraded any F9P
firmware yet?

> > Dunno which port is the xbee port.
> >

> I had this figured out a few months ago and got the gps location to
> the xbee and relayed off as a proper mncors request and then the web
> correction messages started coming back and the gps got to the point
> of a floating fix or some thing, but I was indoors through a gps
> repeater so I didn't get too concerned about not having a full locked
> in rtk solution.

None of which tells me which u-blox port the xbee is on.

> > Until someone updates the gpsd decoder to handle RXM-SFRBX that is
> > a good as it gets.  Other drivers can decode the subframe from other
> > vendors, "just" needs some plumbing.
> >

> I see the driver_ubx.c code, and see that it does something with
> RXM-SFRB messages (not in ublox8/9) but doesn't specifically handle
> the RXM-SFRBX message.  It's getting late tonight, but if I can get
> my brain cells stirred around enough in the morning, maybe I'll take
> a crack at adding some plumbing, see how far I get.

Good luck.  GPS only may not be too bad.

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1 541 382 8588