gpsd-users

Re: Segfault after upgrade.

From: David J Taylor
Subject: Re: Segfault after upgrade.
Date: Fri, 22 May 2020 19:39:34 +0100

Yo David!

On Fri, 22 May 2020 16:22:19 +0100
"David J Taylor" <address@hidden> wrote:

Thanks, Kai.  Yes, a left-over was my thought too, but how to find
it?

Just use the same tool you used to install the old Buster gpsd to
uninstall it.

To debug segfault:

1. be sure gpsd is not being managed by systemd

2. As root:

killall gpsd

3. ass root

killall gpsd

4. as root, to ensure nothing grabbing the port::

netstat -apn | fgrep 2947

5. run gpsd with logs:

gpsd -nGD 6 /dev/ttyXX

6. screen past 30 seconds and post here.

RGDS
GARY

Thanks, Gary.  Here's the story:

0. I removed the old version and rebooted. The only two "gpsd" files remaining were:

 /etc/init.d/gpsd
 /etc/default/gpsd

Having added buster-backports I then ran:

 sudo apt-get install -t buster-backports gpsd gpsd-clients python-gps

This gave an error about python:

__________________________________
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
or been moved out of Incoming.

gpsd-clients : Breaks: python-gps but 3.17-7 is to be installed
__________________________________

so I ran the install again without the python-gps. I hope that was OK. I left the /etc/defaults/gpsd unchanged. The "obsolete" /etc/init.d/gpsd was removed by the install.

1. I don't know how to do this. I did try sudo service gpsd stop, which seemed to work, and ps -e | grep gps showed no process.

2. No process found.

3. No process found.

4.  netstat -apn | fgrep 2947
tcp 0 0 127.0.0.1:2947 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN 1/init tcp6 0 0 ::1:2947 :::* LISTEN 1/init

5. pi@RasPi-3:~ $ sudo gpsd -nGD 6 /dev/ttyAMA0
Segmentation fault

6. I don't understand.  dmesg | grep gps  shows no messages.

Cheers,
David
Web: https://www.satsignal.eu
Email: address@hidden