gpsd-users

Re: listen on specific network interfaces

From: Tor Rune Skoglund
Subject: Re: listen on specific network interfaces
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2020 09:34:06 +0200

Hi Gary,

Den 16.04.2020 21:56, skrev Gary E. Miller:

Yo Tor!

On Thu, 16 Apr 2020 08:27:42 +0200
Tor Rune Skoglund <address@hidden> wrote:

<deleted>
Never gonna happen.  Please don't spem this list.
Sorry for that. I always delete my "commercial" default signature on mailinglists, but obviously missed the last line this time.
This is UNIX: do one thing do it well.  gpsd does GNSS well.  Leave
the firewall stuff to the firewall people.
I see your point, Gary, but there are situations where
firewall/iptables settings do not necessarily easily apply,
Really?  Since you mention iptables, instead of nftables, time for
you to go study modern firewall tech.  Or hire a fire guru for
30 minutes.

like when
using various types of container solution with shared networking and
such. Therefore, the option to specify specific ip addresses or
interfaces til listen on would be good to have.
Really?  I'm sure there are many people on this list that would have
no troubles solving this with a few lines of nft.

Back to your original point, I would look at any MR on this, whatever
it is (interfaces, IPs, etc.).  If only to put this issue behind us as
it keep popping up.

Our suggestion is to have to option to specify which IPs to bind to, e.g. using something like

-I <comma-separated-list-of-ip-addresses>

As said, we want to help to get this done, but if someone else steps in, that would also be very fine.

BR,

Tor Rune Skoglund