gpsd-users

Re: garmin serial probe or force garmin serial mode.

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: garmin serial probe or force garmin serial mode.
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2020 10:29:26 -0700

Yo Philip!

On Mon, 30 Mar 2020 16:23:46 +1300
Philip Lamb <address@hidden> wrote:

> I've got a Garmin device connected via serial link

My condolences on your misfortune.

> and configured to
> report in garmin format.

And you know this how?

> gpsd fails to automatically recognise the
> format,

Which would be very odd and unusual.

> and I see from the source at
> https://gitlab.com/gpsd/gpsd/-/blob/master/driver_garmin.c#L1301
> <https://gitlab.com/gpsd/gpsd/-/blob/master/driver_garmin.c#L1301>
> that in fact no probe is implemented to detect this mode.

No probe needed.  When the Garmin sends garmin binary it is auto-detected
in packet.c

> How can I force gpsd into garmin-serial mode?

You can't.  Nor is there ever a need to.

> I saw some mention of
> feeding some formatted json to the device,

Nope.  But you can force the device, if it is dtected as sending NMEA,
into garmin mode:  "gpsctl -b"

> but I can't find any
> documentation on that approach,

man gpsctl

> and even if that worked, how would I
> ensure that is done every time gpsd starts?

Use the device hook file.  But every garmin I have seen defaults to
Garmin binary mode on power up.

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1 541 382 8588