gpsd-users

Re[2]: NTP with only GPS/PPS flags PPS as falseticker

From: Nick Burkitt
Subject: Re[2]: NTP with only GPS/PPS flags PPS as falseticker
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2020 15:50:07 +0000

Hi Greg.
So you are at 6.5ms different from "GPS" to "PPS".  Not really that bad
in the historical view.
Yes, the lab results look good, but ntpd blacklisting my GPS, even if it's not all the time, is bad. If I could eliminate the blacklisting, I'd consider releasing the system my customer.

(It would be good if you could send mail with output that is not munged,
but I know not everyone uses emacs!.)
When I read my own postings from the list, the output isn't munged. Of course I'm reading it with the same email client (eM Client) that I used to compose it in the first place. It is not without its quirks, but you'd think by now there would be some agreement on how to format email.
 The documentation (https://docs.ntpsec.org/latest/miscopt.html) claims
 that the default value for minsane is 1
So set it anyway and check that assumption.
I'll insert a mini-rant here about write-only settings. It would be much nicer just to query the current configuration, rather than trying to infer it by resorting to black-box testing. But I did try it, and ntpd's behavior didn't change - it mostly dislikes my GPS, but occasionally agrees that it's not all that bad once you get to know it. The latter, but the way, would never happen if minsane were greater than 1.

Thanks,

-Nick