gpsd-users

Re: NTP with only GPS/PPS flags PPS as falseticker

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: NTP with only GPS/PPS flags PPS as falseticker
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2020 18:33:44 -0700

Yo Nick!

On Tue, 17 Mar 2020 01:21:36 +0000
"Nick Burkitt" <address@hidden> wrote:

> I'd really like to understand what's happening before investing the
> time to change over to chrony. Although it may be the best long-term
> solution.

Obviously your choice.

> >What version of NTPsec?

What about your version of NTPsec?  Maybe even check your copy of the
source to ensure it still has the

> >Anything in the ntp logs?

Anything?

> >Maybe try to force minsane to 1?

Tried it yet?

You may also try to set the fudge on your GPS to more cloely match your PPS.
Usually that is a bad thing, but worth a try.

> I think the problem is that ntpd always flags my GPS as a
> falseticker, so when the network time sources go away, it may be left
> with no tickers, rather than one.

Someone on the NTPsec list would have a better answer.  But I'll try.
When ntpd has only one ticker, it does not have two other ticker to
out vote it.

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1 541 382 8588