gpsd-users

Re: Duplicate or near-duplicate messages on u-blox M8

From: Luke Hutchison
Subject: Re: Duplicate or near-duplicate messages on u-blox M8
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2020 18:49:01 -0700

By the way, in response to this:

On Thu, Feb 27, 2020, 12:11 PM Gary E. Miller <address@hidden> wrote:
> 4. In terminal 2, switched the device mode from the default
> ("native":1) to NMEA ("native":0).

Sigh.  As I pointed out to you on the nmea:true thing, the same applies
here.  The native flag does not change anything about how the receiver
talks to gpsd.  It only sets what gpsd sends to the client.

You keep tripping over your own bad assupmtions about what is happening.

The only assumption I made were those stated in the docs, which as far as I can tell conflict with what you wrote:

https://gpsd.gitlab.io/gpsd/gpsd_json.html

"native : integer : 0 means NMEA mode and 1 means alternate mode (binary if it has one, for SiRF and Evermore chipsets in particular). Attempting to set this mode on a non-GPS device will yield an error."

This is documented to be a device and chipset modesetting command, which sets binary protocol mode if the parameter value is 1 and if the chipset has a binary mode. If this is wrong, please fix the docs, as they are misleading.