gpsd-users

Re: SOS

From: Christopher Story
Subject: Re: SOS
Date: Sun, 26 Jan 2020 06:53:55 -0600

I think with the rpi, you need to first insure the gps is actually connected properly.  gpsd wont work if it cant see the GPS.

first insure you have the proper uart pins TX, RX, gnd.

then use something like minicom serial terminal to see if you have data there.. it will probably be garbage to start.

then (this isnt strictly needed for gpsd, but will be beneficial to you), look up the default port settings for your gps (like 4800 baud, No parity, 8 data bits, 1 stop bit or shown as 4800,N,8,1)

set those in minicom and you should see nmea sentences.  like $GPGGA etc.

then get gpsd running, (i suspect though that if you confirm this and gpsd is properly installed, it will be working)

some other advice... **very important**

you must research and learn yourself.  you are not only learning to connect gpsd to an RPI you are teaching yourself how to learn on your own.  i have been using rpi since the pre release days, I learned what I needed myself by google.

if you do not heed such advice, when you really are stuck, people will not help you.  you ***must*** put in the effort yourself.  if you show that you have done your part, people will  be willing to assist.

good luck,

chris