gpsd-users

Re: Ubuntu 18.04.3 build from source testing

From: Steve Bourland
Subject: Re: Ubuntu 18.04.3 build from source testing
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2019 14:49:52 -0600 (CST)

Yo Gary!

Have included answers from a couple posts below.

How long did you wait?

I believe "long enough." The board that interfaces between the Garmin and the serial port is blinking it's LED with the PPS, so that makes me think it believes it has a fix, gpspipe -r indicates:
$GPRMC,203224.00,A,2926.7278,N,09836.3788,W,0.0258,114.154,010500,4.1,E*70

My cell phone indicates I'm at latitute 29 degrees, 26 minutes N, longitude 98 degrees, 36 minutes W, so I think that's a solid lock? I always look for the "A" to see if it thinks it's happy.

The Garmin sensisitity is aweful.  I expect the fix to come and go unless
the antenna is outside with a good sky view.

The antenna is sitting on a window sill (inside) of a very large window. Historically, using the Ubuntu packages, xgps has shown a very, very long term 3-D fix (tens of thousands of seconds not uncommon, I usually try to leave xgps up).

Not good.  Can you send the output of:

python -V

@wade:~\ % python -V
Python 2.7.15+

xgps -V

@wade:~\ % xgps -V
xgps: Version 3.19.1~dev

find /usr -xdev -name gps.py -exec ls -l {} \;

@wade:~\ % find /usr -xdev -name gps.py -exec ls -l {} \;
-rw-rw-r-- 1 root staff 12456 Dec 11 22:25 /usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/gps/gps.py -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 11826 Aug 29 2017 /usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/gps/gps.py

That last one is a bit tricky, copy it exactly.

No worries, find and I are fairly good friends.

To me that almost looks like somehow I have a mismatch in objects?

Dunno, will look.

Don't want you to waste too much time on this with this particular build/setup if I am honest...

I just pushed a workaround for the Garmin WNRO bug.  Please test.

Super, will do! Going to to a fresh OS install to clean up the mess I have made of things, hoping for a more forward path, but that will take a bit more time, sorry.

It is very odd that your binary log does not have the Garmin firmware
version in it.  This, plus your inability to change between modes, makes
my think the data to the receiver is not working.  Broken wire, wrong
parity, wrong voltage, etc.

Sorry for my lack of experience, but would you expect one direction to "work well" (ie, gpspipe seems to be reading data well) while the other was messed up? Possible I have a cable issue with the TX wire going from the DB-9 to the Garmin I suppose.

Will pull the latest tarball, reinstall the OS and expected required packages and report back.
                                        Thanks,
                                          Steve