gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] Garmin 18X LVC and upcoming week rollover

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] Garmin 18X LVC and upcoming week rollover
Date: Wed, 4 Dec 2019 11:01:07 -0800

Yo Rich!

On Wed, 4 Dec 2019 10:27:34 -0800
Rich Wales <address@hidden> wrote:

> I put my GPS into raw binary mode, then did "gpspipe -R -n 10" (I
> assume "gpspipe -R -x 10" was a typo, this command failed with "-x"
> being an invalid option).  Here are the first three lines of text
> from the output before a bunch of unprintable binary stuff:

The "-x 10" is not a typo.  You are likely using an older gpspipe that
does not have that option.  Do you have both Ubuntu and source built
gpsd installed at the same time?

> {"class":"DEVICES","devices":[{"class":"DEVICE","path":"/dev/gps0","driver":"Garmin
> Serial
> binary","activated":"2019-12-04T17:50:30.000Z","flags":1,"native":1,"bps":9600,"parity":"N","stopbits":1,"cycle":1.00}]}
> {"class":"WATCH","enable":true,"json":false,"nmea":false,"raw":2,"scaled":false,"timing":false,"split24":false,"pps":false}

How lone did you let gpsd run before doing the gpspipe?  You should have
seen a "subtype".

Also, the point of the exercise was to send the 10 seconds of capture
log here.  You did not do that.  Can you do that?  After checking your
gpspipe version (gpspipe -V).

> Still no indication of the firmware version as best I can tell.  If
> there might be more clues in the binary stuff, let me know and I'll
> send you a copy of the log with the binary stuff included.

If the subtype wass in the log, it would be in the JSON.

> I said earlier that, when I ran "gpspipe -r" with the GPS in NMEA
> mode, I could see $GPRMC, $GPGGA, $GPGSA, $GPGSV, and $PGRME
> sentences.  I did "gpspipe -r" again now, with the GPS in binary
> mode, and I'm seeing $GPZDA, $GPGGA, $GPRMC, and $GPGSA sentences now.

Yes, but the old NMEA was from the receiver.  The new NMEA is psuedo
NMEA (re-created from the binary).

> If it's not possible to figure out anything more about this GPS or to
> make gpsd compensate for its WNRO problem,

It is possible to fix, just not easy.

> I'm not going to throw it
> away --

Throwing it away is easy, cheap and good.  All three at once.

> I'll just keep on using it as is and fudge its value in
> ntpsec, which (as I said earlier) makes it work fine for my purposes.

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1 541 382 8588