gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] GPSD as root cannot receive PPS

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] GPSD as root cannot receive PPS
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2019 11:40:50 -0800

Yo Sara!

On Tue, 22 Oct 2019 15:06:44 +0000
Sara Costa Freitas <address@hidden> wrote:

> I am trying to configure chrony in Ubuntu 16.04 (kernel
> 4.15.0-52-generic), using a GPS source and a PPS pulse. I know that I
> have the PPS pulse, as I can see it using ppstest or ppscheck,
> however, if I start the gpsd as sudo, GPSD returns the error
> "gpsd:INFO: KPPS:/dev/ttyXR6 kernel PPS timeout unknown error", and
> if I try to do the ppscheck I get the following error "PPS
> ioctl(TIOCMIWAIT) failed: 25 Inappropriate ioctl for device".

Not useful without the exact commands you ran.

> If I run GPSD with sudo:

<rant>Don't ever use sudo.  Make sure it always asks for a password</rant>

>   *   Chrony is able to sync and receive the GPS data

This is not the Chrony list.

>   *   GPSD is not able to collect PPS data
>
> If I run GPSD without sudo:

Don't do that when debugging.  It raises too many simmulataineous issues.

> GPSD version: 3.19

Built how?

> Does anyone have this type of problem?

You are the 2nd today.  But hard to say as you provided no details.

1) what is your GNSS receiver model?

2) how is it connected to your host?  USB, GPIO, RS-232, serial?

3) how did you buuild your gpsd?

4) how did you start your gpsd?

5) Did you read: https://gpsd.io/troubleshooting.html

RGDS