gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] UBX-TIM-TP on F9T?

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] UBX-TIM-TP on F9T?
Date: Sat, 5 Oct 2019 10:53:06 -0700

Yo Anders!

On Sat, 5 Oct 2019 14:35:40 +0300
Anders Wallin <address@hidden> wrote:

> > the latest from gitlab (3.19-661) does build OK for me.
> > I will try to look for the PPS message with an F9T later today and
> > report what I find..
> >

> I tried, but could not get a PPS-message from gpsd.

What did you try?

> Using u-center (which runs on wine) I do see the qErr value, and
> u-center can plot a graph of it over time which shows a saw-tooth
> from -4ns to +4ns, as expected.

You can't run u-center while gpsd is running, and gpsd reprograms
the receiver, so that is not a good test.

> ubxtool does show the UBX-TIM-TP message OK.

ubxtool standalone, or while gpsd is running?  gpsd reprogramms the
receiver so the only good test is when gpsd is running.

> the output from my python client is below.

Not helpful with no code.

What I asked for is the config.log and the output when you built
gpsd.  Many config options to get wrong.

> This might be tied to having a separate pps-device (?), but I don't
> have (or need) a separate /dev/pps0 device, I would just want to log
> the qErr value.

What model receiver?  How is it connected?  Full serial port (RS-232),
partial serial port (Raspberry Pi), I2C, USB?  They all connect PPS is
different ways.

> In time-transfer, the electrical PPS output from the receiver is used
> for other things.

But how does it get to gpsd?  No PPS signal into gpsd, then no PPS JSON
out.

> -------python client output----------
[...]
>  u'/dev/ttyUSB0',

Uh, oh.  Is your PPS really on USB?  Not good.  Are you 100% sure the
PPS signal is being carried on the USB?  If so, how do you know?

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1 541 382 8588