gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] Cannot launch gpsd from terminal on Fedora 29

From: Ellon Paiva
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] Cannot launch gpsd from terminal on Fedora 29
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2019 18:33:59 +0200

Hi,

On 8/28/19 6:22 PM, pisymbol . wrote:

/var/log/messages I believe on Fedora. Any output related to gpsd in there?

No, nothing related to gpsd there.

[mellon@mellon-hp log]$ pwd
/var/log
[mellon@mellon-hp log]$ sudo find | grep gps
[mellon@mellon-hp log]$

The strace shows that gpsd did write to standard output (1) the version information. But you aren't seeing it? Is that correct?

Yes, that's correct.

Are you just ssh'ing into your machine and running gpsd? I assume you have a valid tty.

I'm trying to run it directly from a terminal emulator on my machine. It's not a remote machine, so no ssh involved. I do think I have a valid tty.

Any chance SELINUX is causing an issue? (if it's enabled (sestatus), try disabling it or making it permissive and see what happens).

That was exactly it! Disabling SELinux solved the problem.

[mellon@mellon-hp log]$ gpsd -V
[mellon@mellon-hp log]$ sudo setenforce 0
[mellon@mellon-hp log]$ gpsd -V
gpsd: 3.17 (revision 3.17)
[mellon@mellon-hp log]$

Now I wonder, why is SELinux the cause this problem? Why didn't it cause problems when running from valgrind or by systemctl?

Thanks for the help!

Ellon