gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] Polling for GPS data using python3 API

From: pisymbol .
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] Polling for GPS data using python3 API
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2019 16:49:48 -0400

On Mon, Aug 12, 2019 at 4:20 PM Gary E. Miller <address@hidden> wrote:
Yo pisymbol!

On Mon, 12 Aug 2019 16:14:40 -0400
"pisymbol ." <address@hidden> wrote:

> > Uh, the gpsd 3.9 module was release 2013-05-01.  A lot has changed
> > since then.  3.19 is the current version.  We can't support ancient
> > software...
> >

> Can I use 3.15build1 on 16.04 with gps 3.19 client ?

No.  Our JSON library does not allow flxible up/down revision support.

gpsd used to allow cross version support and it generated a lot of
problems for users.

> I ask because the man page example is giving me all Nones, i.e.

As expected.

Still getting None now on 3.19:

$ pip3 list | grep gps
gps                           3.19

$ gpsd -V
gpsd: 3.19 (revision 3.19)

The code is using the iterator example to read 'reports' and it is always None. My session is initialized via

trimble = gps.gps(host, port)
trimble.stream(flags = gps.WATCH_ENABLE)
for report in trible:
   print(report)

'report' here is always None.

-aps