gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] ntpd vs Venus638FLPx-L with week rollover bug

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] ntpd vs Venus638FLPx-L with week rollover bug
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2019 10:59:12 -0700

Yo Jeff!

On Tue, 11 Jun 2019 12:38:09 -0500
Jeff Epler <address@hidden> wrote:

> Gary,
> Yes, I redacted my location in the log.  I hadn't considered that this
> would affect GPS checksums.  Is there some way I can safely redact my
> position but preserve valid checksums?

You can not change the data and preserve the checksum.  The checksum is
there to prevent that!

You could recompute the checksums by hand.

Maybe you can just take a long drive on the weekend and gather a
sample for us?

> I'm also happy just letting
> the subject drop, as I don't need to use this 10yo GPS with gpsd.
> I'll just mark it "for PPS only" and toss it back in the junk pile.

My rule of thumb is that if one person complains, then ten are quietly
suffering the same issue in silence.  I know there is a Debian bug
on this, but they seem incapable of defining their problem.  You have,
almost, nicely defined the problem, just need good checksums.

With a good test case, maybe I can help Debian peeps.  Once they
gather enough issues they may just go away...

Worst case, mail me the GPS and I'll take a sample log.

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1 541 382 8588