gpsd-users

[gpsd-users] Fwd: Re: [gpsd-dev] Repo and web pages have been re-homed

From: David Goodenough
Subject: [gpsd-users] Fwd: Re: [gpsd-dev] Repo and web pages have been re-homed
Date: Tue, 04 Jun 2019 10:58:12 +0100

---------- Forwarded Message ----------

Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] [gpsd-dev] Repo and web pages have been re-homed
Date: Tuesday, 4 June 2019, 10:37:39 BST
From: David Goodenough <address@hidden>
To: address@hidden

On Tuesday, 4 June 2019 04:31:23 BST Gary E. Miller wrote:

> Yo Chris!

> On Mon, 3 Jun 2019 20:25:22 -0700

> Chris Kuethe <address@hidden> wrote:

> > On Thu, May 30, 2019 at 4:54 PM Eric S. Raymond <address@hidden> wrote:

> > > The project web pages now reside at https://gpsd.gitlab.io/gpsd/

> > > and will be regenerated automatically whenever changes to their

> > > sources are pushed. This takes me out of the update loop; for

> > > hysterical raisins they used to live on my personal website at

> > > ibiblio.org and I had to update them by hand.

> > Hear ye, hear ye ... we now have gpsd.io.

> > Maybe one of the first '.io' domains that's not just trendy but

> > actually refers to software that does I/O :)

> Except .io is the "British Indian Ocean Territory" tld.

And it might be about to disappear as these are the Islands around Diago Garcia, the Chagos archipelago which was the subject of a recent international court ruling saying that it should be removed from British rule. As the islands would then join with other existing countries in the area rather than setting up on their own there would be no country to which to attach .io, and it might then have to go.

David