gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] using the python gps module without scons install

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] using the python gps module without scons install
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2019 11:11:28 -0800

Yo shouldbe!

> Apologies, I replied just to you instead of the mailing list.

It happens.

> > > ntploggps has a dependancy for the
> > > python gps module, which I have learnt is is built if python=yes
> > > is added to the scons "timeservice=yes" line.
> >
> > I believe python=yes is the default, if a working python is found.
> > Can't hurt to force it on.
> >
> Agreed if scons is called with no parameters, but with the parameters
> from the clockmaker script set, the python module is not built unless
> added to the line.

Eric maintains the clockmaker script.  He wanted to keep it to make
a minimal gpsd.  If that is not your goal too, then don't use it.

> > > Am I attempting the impossible, or is there a way of "creating"
> > > the python gps module without needing a "sudo scons install" ?
> >
> > It should work with no changes, and with no 'scons install'.  No
> > way to tell without a full transcript of you procedute.
> >

> While "debugging" this, rather than working on a pi, I'm working in an
> Ubuntu VM so I can revert to a snapshot instead of having to re-image

Sounds like a lot of work for little benefit.  clockmaker, by design,
only installs in the user's home directory.  That makes reversion trivial.

If you go beyond the clockmaker script, and install, it is in /usr/local/,
so also easy to revert.

I compile on my RasPi's, works well.  Easier than using VM's.

> It's a clean build of 18.04, which has python 2.7.15 as opposed to the
> puython 2.7.13 of rasbian stretch, but is a fairly close match
> otherwise.

Ugh...

> The very cut down bash script I am using https://pastebin.com/RVXgQ2fn

Looks OK.  I try to discourgage people not building all the drivers for
gpsd and ntpd.  Partial builds are not well tested and can be problematic.

> The contents of ntpsec/build/config.log https://pastebin.com/d7mT7Sya

I see an ntpsec configure, but no gpsd configure?

No point looking at your ntpsec until your gpsd is good.

What does your gpsd configure show?

And what about my other questions?

RGDS
GARY