gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] gpsd with ntrip

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] gpsd with ntrip
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2019 11:30:23 -0800

Yo Ralph!

On Tue, 22 Jan 2019 18:44:47 +0100
Ralph Nemitz <address@hidden> wrote:

> I'm not further with my problem, but I found out some things:
> > What GPS model?

Can't you just look at the GPS to see the model?

> address@hidden ~]# gpsctl -b /dev/ttyO3
> gpsctl:ERROR: no gpsd running or network error: can't connect to
> host/port pair.
> /dev/ttyO3 identified as a MTK-3301 AXN_3.20_3333_13120300-8123 at
> 9600 baud.

MTK-3301?  That is a really old model, very marginal documentation.
Discontinued in 2012!  It only supports one SBAS channel.  It does
support RTCM, but not RTCM3.  Your NTRIP is RTCM3, so that will not
work.

Put that GPS on the shelf and get a modern one for $10.

> > Binary or NMEA?
> NMEA

Yeah, the MTK-3301 looks to be NMEA only.

> > What gpsd version?
> 3.17

That is a bit old.  Known bugs.

> > What ntrip feed?
> I don't know wich information do you want to have.

The URL of your feed.

> > Is the ntrip feed local?
>
> The ntrip feed is about 400 km away. I know, that is to much for good
> results, but I thought, I could get some information, whether the
> ntrip data were taken into account.

Yeah, too far away to be useful.  And not going to work since it is
RTCM3 and your GPS model predates RTCM3.

> My gpsd call:
>
> address@hidden ~]# gpsd -D 4 -n -N /dev/ttyO3 /dev/pps0 -G
> ntrip://SBBH000C:address@hidden:2101/VRS_3_2G_SN

You probably should not have given the whole world your username
and password.

> leads to the attached file, but I don't think, that the DGPS data
> were taken to the lat lon alt output because of the big epx, epy and
> epv.

Please define "big epx, epy and epv"?

> I switched the SBAS to "disabled" and the PMTK_API_SET_DGPS_MODE to
> "RTCM" mode.

That will not help, you need RTCM3 which your GPS does not support.

> Do you know what's wrong?

Yup, ancient GPS.  Throw it away and buy a modern one.

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1 541 382 8588