gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] GPSD SOCK output without PPS

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] GPSD SOCK output without PPS
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2018 12:52:37 -0700

Yo Zach!

On Wed, 12 Sep 2018 11:00:48 -0400
Zach LaCelle <address@hidden> wrote:

> I'm testing out a u-blox EVK-7P, and would like to get the
> gpsd->chrony pipeline working well on the bench before building out
> the system. I have the SHM interface working for normal, rough
> synchronization, but I'd eventually like to wire in and use the PPS
> output.

Sounds like you are almost there with SHM.

> I understand that the PPS source won't work until I do, but I was
> hoping to test out the SOCK interaction, even without the PPS
> accuracy wired in.

SOCK should work fine without PPS.  But is SHM is working, what value
does SOCK give you?

> However, I don't receive any messages over the
> socket connection.

How do you know that?

> I used strace to look for send.* = (32|40)$ messages out of GPSD, and
> I don't see any. But, when I run it with debugging flags, I do see a
> line saying "PPS:/dev/ublox using chrony
> socket: /var/run/chrony.ublox.sock"

Much easier ways to sew what is happening.  Try this:

gpsd -nND 6 /dev/ttyUSB0 |& fgrep socket

> Is this something I can use without PPS wired in?

Yes.  But why do you not have PPS?

Also, you left out key details.  What gpsd version are you using?
How was it built?  How are you starting gpsd?  Hwat is your GPS?

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1 541 382 8588