gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] gps_read parameters

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] gps_read parameters
Date: Sat, 1 Sep 2018 18:36:45 -0700

Yo Charles!

On Sat, 1 Sep 2018 18:47:41 -0600
Charles Curley <address@hidden> wrote:

> > -#define GPSD_API_MAJOR_VERSION 6       /* bump on incompatible
> > changes */ -#define GPSD_API_MINOR_VERSION 1       /* bump on
> > compatible changes */ +#define GPSD_API_MAJOR_VERSION 7       /*
> > bump on incompatible changes */ +#define GPSD_API_MINOR_VERSION
> > 0       /* bump on compatible changes */
>
> I disagree. The 7.0 used to cover only:
>
>  * 6.1 - Add navdata_t for more (nmea2000) info.
>  * 7.0 - add gps_fix_t.ecef (February 2018)
>  */
>
> In July you changed the gps_read API, as noted above.
>
>  * 6.1 - Add navdata_t for more (nmea2000) info.
>  * 7.0 - add gps_fix_t.ecef (February 2018)
>  *       changed prototype of gps_read() to add buffer parameters
>  */

Yup.  No gonna bump the major API more than once between releases.
There have been no releases since the API was bumped.

> That broke 7.0.

No, technically 7.0 is not out since no release has been made since
the bump.

> How is a client program to know at compile time
> whether it is working with a pre-July version or a post-July version
> without a bump in the API version number?

Easy, you get a build error.  If you are building programs on git
head, instead of releases, this will happen.

3rd party clients do not need to be able to build with every git
commit.  To add that capability would add needless clutter to gpsd
and to clients.

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1 541 382 8588