gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] Compiling GPSd for ARM on Xilinx for Petalinux

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] Compiling GPSd for ARM on Xilinx for Petalinux
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2018 12:11:20 -0700

Yo Ben!

On Fri, 10 Aug 2018 03:58:04 -0500
Ben <address@hidden> wrote:

>   I'm interested in compiling GPSd for a Xilinx Zynq system which
> uses the make system... however, my environment runs on CentOS

gpsd is tested, and used, on ARM, ARM64 and CentOS.  Should work fine.

> -- and
> really, if I can prebuild (which I do for other things), I can use
> scons, but I need a little help pointing to my petalinux (xilinx
> supplied build envir) resources so CentOS can build for ARM with the
> target being a Xilinx Zynq-020 system.

Petalinux.  That's a new one.  Maybe someone else here has tried that?

Since scons is pure Python, it should work anywhere.

> The target is a pretty thin embedded system... (no python) - so CLI
> tools are fine. We want to share GPS with various NTP (from NTP.org)
> enabled devices.

We recommend NTPsec.  NTP Classic not getting many updates in the last
few years.

> Where should I start first to see what I need to edit that would help
> me to this task?

I'd guess you need to edit nothing in gpsd.  Many people cross-compile
gpsd with simple scripts.

Here is how one person did it:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/50923719/how-to-cross-compile-gpsd-which-comes-with-scons-using-only-command-line-options

I also know there is a Yocto package for gpsd.  It cross compiles gpsd
for just about every embedded target there is, using only scons
arguments.

Maybe someone here is more familiar with the cross-compile, petalinux or
yocto world than I am.

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1 541 382 8588